Migraines, they are a pain in the arse. They are, for most who suffer them, a great way to suddenly have war declared on bits and pieces of your neck and head. I included a picture of Tension and Migraine headache. I suffer the one on the right-side of the picture.
For me migraines are something to be cured as soon as possible. If they are caught in time they are ‘managed’ by homeopathic means. And I can function somewhat clumsily through a few days. When I don’t catch them in time, no amount of homeopathic methods will work, nor will my stronger over the counter choices of Advil, Aleve or Excedrin for migraines will kick the pain. Might as well be throwing M&M’s at me.
What kind of inkling do I get as a warning that a migraine is going to be hard on me? Sometimes I start to squint even when I wear my eyeglasses. Or I may smell things 10x’s stronger than they really are as the olfactory goes into overdrive. Hearing things gets harder as if you have ear muffs on, muffling sound. Nausea was great indicator but sometimes that can be false, because you could just be sick. Or I get nothing and BAM! game over before it’s begun.
Describing pain and symptoms is hard, and I’ll try that in another post. Although fellow blogger Emily gives a great rating system based on sound for her migraines. If interested, you can check her post out. Emily has migraines all the time. I only have my migraines last 3-5 days tops. I used to have them 2-3 times a month, now I have them once a month.
So my management used to be:
- I tried upping the recommended dose of Advil, still the headache would blossom into fierce skull splitting migraines. (Headaches last a few hours, migraines last for days)
- Aleve made its audience debut, tried it, great for body aches etc, but not migraines
- Excedrin for Migraines, I popped them like candy and still they came, they conquered and I receded whimpering under covers.
- I thought Guided Meditation would take them away. I used to go every week for a year. No, they still came pretty regularly. I eventually stopped going. Have not been to a meditation in year in a half. (Great for stress and anxiety relief which I did benefit from.)
- Instead tried Yoga mantra chants. Thinking that this would be a lovely and stress management type of tool. Easy to learn and each class came with the chant on paper. No, they still came just as regularly.
- Homeopathic migraine treatments. Most come in pill form that dissolve easily under the tongue. Wow, minor breakthrough! If caught early enough the pain was reduced. It didn’t go away entirely but it allowed me to function.
- I still include cup of coffee for the caffeine, up the cups to 2 or 3 to do battle if necessary
- Dark room if all else failed, lights off, no sound, head under pillows and buried under covers in bed
My management now:
- I still use homeopathic remedies. Works the best and I rotate through a couple of different brands so that my body will not get used to one.
- Ice pack wrapped in cloth applied to back of neck to alleviate stabbing pain (20 Min. on/off)
- I still use coffee for the caffeine, sometimes it’s just enough to keep things in check
- Learned Reiki levels I and II. This is so that I can help facilitate healing, in the hopes that my migraine will not get the best of me.
- Have I had a complete cure with Reiki at this time? No
- Have I had some relief with Reiki? Yes, someone applied Reiki to my head and neck and some relief was felt. (That’s how I was exposed to Reiki and how I started my journey in learning Reiki for myself.)
- Dark room if all else fails, lights off, no sound, head under pillows and buried under covers in bed
I’ll continue on with the existing treatments, they are working for the most part. Have I tried acupuncture? Not yet, although friends have given me pamphlets, names and recommendations about others who have felt relief and some who no longer suffer from them.
If I do go get acupuncture will update this blog and let you know the outcome. Until then, will work on explaining what my migraine symptoms are like. Maybe it’ll help others.
[Disclaimer: No way is any of the above to be taken as ‘final proof’ in diagnosing migraines and treatment. Nor for remedies in getting relief. Seek professional opinions and go from there. I did and the above is what I do and is no way a prescribed way for others.]
So a while ago I posted Rant, and it seemed that small things were getting my goat. I was completely unaware what was causing my griping. And today still have no idea as to what is giving me the short run on patience but I did get a little insight as to what may be making me feel different than before.
I was meditating, taking walks, scribbling/doodling and have tried my hand at some crocheting and still I lose my patience. Other days it felt like I was losing my “Joie de Vivre!” I’ve been documenting the last few months and still had no clues as to what is happening to me. So I go talk to my doctor who says in a nutshell, that I’m getting older. Yeah, my birthday comes around every year. And that I’m most likely going into menopause. Since last time I visited I was apparently pre-menopausal. So the transition can cause quick temper changes and mood swings. Just to name a few.
Yikes! I’m like, “What the hell!” Does this mean that the ‘nice’ person I am is now going to get all temperamental and bitchy? I’ve literally been documenting my food, my weight, my migraines and the issue is – I’m going into menopause??
I personally like my previous good moods. The kind that I have as a ‘flighty Gemini’. Yes indeed, I’m a flighty, quick speaking, happy-go-lucky Gemini. But apparently the flip-side Twin, is unveiling her face for the time being. Now the Doctor said that there are supplements that I can take, but she doesn’t get technical. And if my moods and such get really out control then I can revisit and talk about medications that can be tried.
Okay, now you know all those commercials for all the drugs that cure psoriasis, depression, bipolar etc., ‘in your face’ ad-nauseum. Hard to avoid those pesky commercials. And all the lovely ‘disclosed’ side-effects that can happen to a person if taking them. Right? Well I’m like – NO, not for me. And I’m in my mind having a short mental conversation exploring the more gentle homeopathic methods and or other dietary changes that I can affect that will make my life, or at least my moods happier.
Well here’s to taking the road less traveled in this day and age. The non-prescription road to keeping me sane, happy or at least a happier human. I make no guarantees that I won’t continue to rant, but I do hope that I don’t turn people against me. I’m a social loving person and can you imagine an ostracized Butterfly? Me neither, I’d drive myself nuts.
Anyhow, that’s the current low down on the Rant previous and following up right now. For all you lovelies who read this buckle up. I hope the ride is at least gentle from here on out. But will someone keep a chocolate bar on hand?
You can ready my previous post here: Rant
P.S. Keep the chocolate on the list and all is right with the world. (No, really keep it coming.)